Are you interested in STEM? Learning the fundamentals of chemistry crucial in understanding and working with other more specific STEM concepts and investigations. This course will introduce students to various topics in the field of chemistry, including but not limited to chemical structure, chemical reactions, and chemical properties.
- Must have a laptop/computer with a working mic and camera
- Students will be given the class code upon enrollment where they can access the meet code
- Students will join sessions by entering the Google Meet link provided for each class
- Announcements and assignments will appear in the stream–it is important that students check this regularly for updates and important reminders
- Sign up quickly as spots may fill up
Join Google Classroom! (Click here)
This course will be 7 weeks in duration. Hour long classes will be held weekly with 30 min. office hours after each main class. Assignments will also be given every week.
Overview of the class format, curriculum, and assignments.
Week 1: Chemistry Fundamentals
The foundations and basis for the study of chemistry.
Week 2: Periodic Table & Atomic Structure
Overview of basic atomic structure, the importance of Rutherford, Bohr, and Schrodinger's experiments, and how to read the periodic table.
Week 3: Periodic Table Trends
The basis/features behind the organization of the periodic table.
Week 4: Bonding, Polarity, & Charges
How atoms and molecules form bonds, electronegativity, and what are ionization/redox reactions.
Week 5: Thermodynamics & Gas Laws
The nature and transfer of thermal energy along with the behavior of gases.
Week 6: Chemical Equations
Understanding and setting up chemical equations along with a fun and intriguing lesson about ignition/explosion.